Whole Foods Market® Columbia, Md. to open August 20th
COLUMBIA, Md. (July 1, 2014) – Whole Foods Market Columbia – the first in Howard County, Maryland – is set to open Wednesday, August 20th.
The approximately 50,000 square foot store, located in the former Rouse Company building, was designed by internationally renowned architect Frank Gehry for Columbia founder James W. Rouse.
“With such an energetic community, beautiful building and scenic location – we truly hope to embody the meaning of Lake Kittamaqundi, which translates to ‘meeting place’,” said Svetlana Piskounova, Store Team Leader at Whole Foods Market Columbia. “We can’t wait to open our doors to our new neighbors. And in the meantime, we’re venturing out to meet them ahead of time in hopes of building lasting relationships. Come say ‘hi’ when we’re at the lakefront for Fourth of July.”
Whole Foods Market Team Members will be organizing and attending events around Columbia in the coming weeks. Follow the store on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to find out when and where – or to suggest an event.
In a community as focused on health as Columbia, Whole Foods Market Team Members believe the store will be a natural fit. As America’s first national certified organic grocer, Whole Foods Market was named “America’s Healthiest Grocery Store” by Health magazine. Whole Foods Market has the highest quality standards in the business – all products in the stores are free of artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, preservatives and hydrogenated oils.
Whole Foods Market Columbia will feature:
- A vegetarian diner – a venue within the store focused on natural, vegetable-based meals
- Grab-and-go meals – perfect for concerts on the lake
- Fresh popsicles made from cold-pressed juices – the first Mid-Atlantic store to launch this item
- Extensive Cooking Department with on-staff coach and bulk spices
- Pickle Bar, along with other specialty bars including olives, antipasti and fresh pasta
- Marinated cheese bar and made-in-house mozzarella
- Fresh market-style seafood, in addition to oven-ready items
- Bakery with made-in-house breads and pastries; ice cream cakes – another new item for this store
- Wood-fired pizza
- Full service meat department, including dry-aged beef and made-in-house sausage
- DIY body care with customizable products
Whole Foods Market Columbia still has positions available. Those interested can apply online.
Team Members will be at the Lake Kittamaqundi fireworks celebration on July 4th, with many more events planned ahead of the opening. To find out the latest, follow the store on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.