Date of sale: Friday, Dec. 13, 2013
What’s on sale: Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Promotion: $9.99 per pound (around 50% or more off depending on store)
Whole Foods Market® hosts its first-ever national cheese one-day sale – Parmigiano Reggiano, the king of cheese, for just $9.99/lb. on Dec. 13. Whole Foods Market is sharing a taste of the cheese fit for a king at a pauper’s budget, allowing shoppers the opportunity to taste the difference of a hand-selected, 24 month aged cheese.
Parmigiano Reggiano is known best by its toasted, salty and nutty flavor and subtle crystal-like texture. With a history dating back almost 1,000 years, only cheese made in one area of Northern Italy – the rolling hills and green pastures that comprise Reggio Emilia, Parma, Modena and portions of Bologna and Mantua – can bear the Parmigiano Reggiano name.
Ever wonder what makes Whole Foods Market's Parmigiano Reggiano so special?
Our cheese buyers travel to Italy every year to hand-select the cheese at the farms. The wheels are then aged for at least 24 months for the best flavor and texture.
The rind of a Parmigiano Reggiano wheel, though chewy, is completely edible. So when you get down to the end, toss it into simmering soup, stew or pasta sauce. After it softens, remove, dice and return the bits to the pot. Rinds also make great dog treats!
Did you know?
Whole Foods Market holds the world record for the largest number of Parmigiano Reggiano wheels (they’re 85 pounds!) cracked (or cut open) simultaneously – 426 wheels.
• Highlight Parmigiano Reggiano’s subtle bite, creaminess and sweetness with pears, balsamic vinegar, honey, walnuts, figs, mostarda or hazelnuts.
• Serve it with a light- to medium-bodied red wine, a light fruity wine like dolcetto or a sparkling white such as prosecco. For beer, try a crisp Italian lager.
Go beyond just grating and get to know why Parmigiano Reggiano reigns supreme with these delicious recipes:
• Parmigiano Reggiano Crisps
• Oven-baked Chicken with Parmigiano Reggiano Crust
• Spinach Salad with Warm Parmigiano Reggiano Dressing
• Parmigiano Reggiano Baked Eggs with Swiss Chard
• Roasted Kale Chips with Parmigiano Reggiano
Fine print: Canadian and U.S. stores only. No rain checks. No limit nationally.