Jersey City, N.J. (Nov. 9, 2023) – Whole Foods Market opened its new 51,156-square-foot store, located at Washington Street and Columbus Drive in Jersey City, N.J., today at 8 a.m. EST. This is the retailer’s first store in Jersey City, and its design aesthetic is inspired by the city’s love of art. With graphics representing the Hudson River in the store’s backyard, a cool-toned color palette was also chosen to provide a sense of calm in the busy neighborhood. The new location’s product assortment features more than 1,000 local items from the Northeast, sourced with the help of John Lawson, Senior Local Forager for Whole Foods Market.
“We’re thrilled to open our first Whole Foods Market store in Jersey City,” said Nicole Davia, Senior Vice President of Operations for Whole Foods Market. “Jersey City is already home to one of our store support offices, and we know our neighbors and many community members have been anxiously awaiting this opening. We look forward to serving them and introducing them to a shopping experience unlike anywhere else!”
“After nearly 20 years with Whole Foods Market, I feel privileged to help open the first store in Jersey City,” said Masud Alam, Store Team Leader for Whole Foods Market. “I’m ready to introduce our customers to our passionate and knowledgeable team members committed to serving this community. I’m also excited for customers to discover hundreds of products from local brands we love featured across our aisles.”
To give back to the community, Whole Foods Market has donated to nonprofit organizations The Sharing Place, Triangle Park Community Center and The Community Food Bank of New Jersey. Additionally, a Whole Foods Market refrigerated van previously donated through the grocer’s Nourishing Our Neighborhoods program to nonprofit organization Table to Table will make regular pick-ups from the Jersey City store to transfer rescued food to community members in need. Through the program, Whole Foods Market has now donated two refrigerated vans in the state of New Jersey, including a donation to Morristown-based nonprofit nourish.NJ. To date, the retailer has donated 38 vans to food rescue organizations across the U.S.
Features of the new Jersey City store include:
- Produce department with an array of certified organic, conventional and Sourced for Good Offerings from more than 12 local farms, including vertically grown strawberries from Oishii; floral winter greens from Kurt Weiss Greenhouse, Inc.; and winter squash from Hepworth Farms.
- Specialty department dedicated to celebrating cheesemakers and artisan producers, with more than 200 types of cheese. Local items include mozzarella from Lioni Latticini, Inc. and fresh pasta from Severino Pasta Company. The cheese counter is overseen by trained cheesemongers who can offer recommendations for any occasion and create custom boards.
- Curated grocery section filled with everyday essentials from Whole Foods Market’s 365 brand, including plant-based options, frozen meals and sides, pantry staples and sweet treats like dark chocolate almond butter cups. Local products include ground coffee from Paper Plane Coffee Co., dairy-free yogurt from CHKP Foods, organic and gluten free vegan granola from Naturalvert, Undercover quinoa crisps, Black Seed Bagels and milk and cheese curds from Family Farmstead Dairy.
- Full-service seafood counter featuring smoked salmon from Catsmo Artisan Smokehouse, local squid and scallops from Lund’s Fisheries, Inc., and seafood cakes and appetizers from Lagniappe Foods, Inc. All offerings are either sustainable wild-caught or Responsibly Farmed.
- Full-service meat counter, with butchers available to cut steaks and poultry to order. Features include local pork from Briarwood Cattle Farm, chicken sausage from Bilinski’s, and charcuterie from Brooklyn Cured.
- A prepared foods section featuring fresh sushi from Kikka, self-serve hot and salad bars, rotisserie chicken, self-serve pizza and a chef’s case where customers can order “market plates” choosing from a variety of entrée and side options like salmon, roasted chicken and homestyle macaroni and cheese.
- A bakery department offering made-in-house bread as well as everyday favorites, such as Whole Foods Market’s Berry Chantilly Cake and brown butter cookies. The department also carries a wide variety of special diet items like vegan croissants and scones. Local offerings include artisan bread from Balthazar Bakery, pastries from Palazzone 1960 and artisan pitas from Angel Bakeries.
- A Whole Body department with a large assortment of wellness and beauty items like Pacha Soap Company’s Raise the Bar line of facial, hair and skin care bar products found only at Whole Foods Market and 15 local brands, including shea body butter from LUX Naturals; wood wick candles from Tiny Kitchen Candle Co. and handmade soap from Bodhi Organics.
Whole Foods Market in Jersey City will be open from 7:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. EST daily following opening day.
All food at Whole Foods Market must meet the company’s rigorous Quality Standards, which prohibit hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup and more than 230 flavors, colors, sweeteners and other ingredients commonly found in food. In addition, all beauty and body care products must meet the company’s body care standards, which ban more than 180 commonly used ingredients, including phthalates, parabens and microbeads.
Amazon Prime members who shop at Whole Foods Market have access to a number of benefits year-round, including deep discounts on select popular products each week and an additional 10% off hundreds of in-store sale items. Grocery pickup is available at Whole Foods Market Jersey City. For more information and hours of operation, please visit www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/jerseycity.
About Whole Foods Market
For more than 40 years, Whole Foods Market has been the world’s leading natural and organic foods retailer. As the first certified organic national grocer, Whole Foods Market has more than 500 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. To learn more about Whole Foods Market, please visit https://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/.