JERSEY CITY, N.J. (Oct. 11, 2023) – Whole Foods Market will open a new 51,156-square-foot store, located at Washington Street and Columbus Drive in Jersey City, New Jersey, on Nov. 9, at 8 a.m. This is the retailer’s first store in Jersey City, and its design aesthetic is inspired by the city’s love of art. With graphics representing the Hudson River in the store’s backyard, a cool-toned color palette was also chosen to provide a sense of calm in the busy neighborhood. The new location’s product assortment features more than 1,000 local items from the Northeast, sourced with the help of John Lawson, Senior Local Forager for Whole Foods Market.
To give back to the community, the grocer will donate a refrigerated van to nourish.NJ through Whole Foods Market’s Nourishing Our Neighborhoods program, which was created to expand the capacity and capability for community-based food rescue organizations to move food from where it’s available to where it’s needed most.
Features of the Jersey City store include:
- Produce department with an array of certified organic, conventional and Sourced for Good Offerings from more than 12 local farms, including vertically grown strawberries from Oishii; floral winter greens from Kurt Weiss Greenhouse, Inc.; and winter squash from Hepworth Farms.
- Specialty department dedicated to celebrating cheesemakers and artisan producers, with more than 200 types of cheese. Local items include artisan baked crackers from Firehook Bakery, mozzarella from Lioni Latticini, Inc. and fresh pasta from Severino Pasta Company. The cheese counter is overseen by trained cheesemongers who can offer recommendations for any occasion and create custom boards.
- Curated grocery section filled with everyday essentials from Whole Foods Market’s 365 brand, including plant-based options, frozen meals and sides, pantry staples and sweet treats like dark chocolate almond butter cups. More than 1,000 local products, including ground coffee from Paper Plane Coffee Co., dairy-free yogurt from CHKP Foods, organic and gluten-free vegan granola from Naturalvert, Undercover quinoa crisps, Black Seed Bagels and milk and cheese curds from Family Farmstead Dairy.
- Full-service seafood counter featuring smoked salmon from Catsmo Artisan Smokehouse, local squid and scallops from Lund’s Fisheries, Inc., and seafood cakes and appetizers from Lagniappe Foods, Inc. All offerings are either sustainable wild-caught or Responsibly Farmed.
- Full-service meat counter, with butchers available to cut steaks and poultry to order. Features include local pork from Briarwood Cattle Farm, chicken sausage from Bilinski’s, and charcuterie from Brooklyn Cured.
- A prepared foods section featuring fresh sushi from Kikka, self-serve hot and salad bars, rotisserie chicken, self-serve pizza and a chef’s case where customers can order “market plates” choosing from a variety of entrée and side options like salmon, roasted chicken and homestyle macaroni and cheese.
- A bakery department offering made-in-house bread as well as everyday favorites, such as Whole Foods Market’s Berry Chantilly Cake and brown butter cookies. The department also carries a wide variety of special diet items like vegan croissants and scones. Local offerings include artisan bread from Balthazar Bakery, pastries from Palazzone 1960 and artisan pitas from Angel Bakeries.
- A Whole Body department with a large assortment of wellness and beauty items like Pacha Soap Company’s Raise the Bar line of facial, hair and skin care bar products found only at Whole Foods Market and 15 local brands, including shea body butter from LUX Naturals; wood wick candles from Tiny Kitchen Candle Co. and handmade soap from Bodhi Organics.
Whole Foods Market Jersey City will be open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on opening day. Regular store hours will be 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Opening morning, customers will enjoy complimentary coffee and pastries. The first 300 customers in line will receive a limited-edition tote bag and a Secret Saver coupon featuring offers up to $100 off.
All food at Whole Foods Market must meet the company’s rigorous Quality Standards, which prohibit hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup and more than 230 flavors, colors, sweeteners and other ingredients commonly found in food. In addition, all beauty and body care products must meet the company’s body care standards, which ban more than 180 commonly used ingredients, including phthalates, parabens and microbeads.
Amazon Prime members who shop at Whole Foods Market have access to a number of benefits year-round, including deep discounts on select popular products each week and an additional 10% off hundreds of in-store sale items. Grocery pickup is available at Whole Foods Market Jersey City. For more information and hours of operation, please visit www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/jerseycity.
About Whole Foods Market
For more than 40 years, Whole Foods Market has been the world’s leading natural and organic foods retailer. As the first certified organic national grocer, Whole Foods Market has more than 500 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. To learn more about Whole Foods Market, please visit https://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/.