New York, NY (May 4, 2015) – David Chang, chef and founder of Momofuku, is thrilled to announce that Momofuku’s highly coveted Ssäm Sauce is now available for purchase online and at all nine Whole Foods Market stores in New York City.
Since the opening of Momofuku Noodle Bar in 2004, variations of Ssäm Sauce have played an integral part in the Momofuku kitchens. Ssäm Sauce, a spicy and tangy Korean Chili Sauce, combines a traditional, umami-rich, hot pepper seasoning called gochujang, along with other distinct ingredients like miso, sake, soy sauce, and rice vinegar, creating a tangy and complex flavor profile.
“Ssäm Sauce is our very own version of a Momofuku mother sauce. For years, our chefs have used the flavors of Ssäm Sauce as staples in the Momofuku pantry,” said David Chang. “To us, its versatility is what makes it so essential in our kitchens. We think Ssäm Sauce makes everything taste better.”
Ssäm Sauce is highly regarded for its ability to pair well with a variety of flavors and cuisines. Try it with rice, ramen, pizza, fried chicken, salads, meats, burgers, veggies, and so much more! It can be enjoyed as a dip, drizzled onto your favorite foods, or used as a marinade, stir-fry, or dressing.
“At Whole Foods Market, we’re always excited to work with the most highly regarded culinary minds to bring innovative and new products, like Ssäm Sauce, to market,” said Elly Truesdell, Local Forager for the Northeast Region. “We’re thrilled to be working with Chef Chang to provide our shoppers with a product that meets our high-quality standards from one of the most recognizable chefs in the world.”
Here’s a quick recipe:
Ssäm Sauce Chicken Wings
8 whole wings, about 2 pounds
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons peanut oil
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 cup ssäm sauce
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
fried onions, optional
sesame seeds, optional
· Pat wings dry with a paper towel.
· In a large bowl, toss wings with salt and pepper until evenly coated. Arrange wings in an even layer on a wire rack over a sheet tray. Allow wings to remain uncovered in the refrigerator overnight, at least 12 hours.
· Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, toss wings in peanut oil until evenly coated.
· Rearrange wings on the wire rack. Roast wings for 15 minutes, using the convection setting on your oven. Reduce temperature to 375°F and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until crisp.
· While the wings are roasting, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
· Remove from heat and whisk in ssäm sauce and apple cider vinegar.
· Toss wings in sauce until evenly coated. Add additional ssäm sauce to taste.
· Garnish with fried onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
To purchase Ssäm Sauce, please visit Momofuku NYC restaurants or Whole Foods Market stores in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Momofuku ships Ssäm Sauce nationally at store.momofuku.com.
Established by chef and founder David Chang in 2004 with the opening of Momofuku Noodle Bar, Momofuku has grown to include restaurants in New York City, Sydney and Toronto. Momofuku has a total of eight restaurants (Momofuku Noodle Bar, Momofuku Ssäm Bar, Momofuku Ko, Momofuku Má Pêche, Momofuku Seiōbo, Momofuku Noodle Bar Toronto, Momofuku Daishō, Momofuku Shōtō), a sister bakery with multiple locations throughout New York City and in Toronto(Momofuku Milk Bar), two bars (Booker and Dax, Nikai), and the Momofuku Lab. The restaurants have gained world-wide recognition for their innovative take on cuisine, while supporting local, sustainable and responsible farmers and food purveyors. Momofuku is also composed of Lucky Peach along with a new product and equipment development company called Booker and Dax.