Oakland, Calif. (Nov. 17, 2021) – Whole Foods Market will open its new 31,011-square-foot store, located at 5110 Telegraph Ave. in the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, Calif., on Wednesday, Dec. 8. The store’s design evokes the natural beauty of the nearby Temescal canyon, featuring warm, natural colors. The new location’s assortment emphasizes local products from Northern California overseen by Patrick Wyman, Local Forager for Whole Foods Market’s Northern California region.
Special features of the Temescal store include:
- Full-service meat counter, with butchers to cut steaks to order or debone poultry. Department offerings include ready-to-cook seasoned or marinated meats, shabu shabu and house-made sausage. Local options include air-chilled and organic chicken from Mary’s Chicken, sous vide chicken and pork carnitas from Roli Roti, locally-raised lamb from Pozzi Ranch and organic 100% grass-fed and finished beef from Panorama.
- Prepared Foods section with hot and cold food bars, an array of made-to-order sandwich options, a robust Chef’s Case and a local charcuterie selection. Customizable whole pizzas and pizza-by-the-slice are offered, as is grab-and-go sushi by Kikka.
- An array of organic, conventional and Sourced for Good produce, plus local offerings from more than 25 area farms including Fruit World citrus, specialty mushrooms from Far West Fungi and Mycopia, packaged salads from Plenty, fresh basil from Iron Ox, sweet potatoes from AV Thomas and a variety of flowers from Mountain View Greenhouse and Sun Valley.
- Specialty department dedicated to celebrating cheesemakers, artisan producers and specialty foods. Local options include fresh burrata from Belfiore Cheese, California Black Mission Fig Jam from Jamology and Charles Chocolates Raspberry Pistachio Ruby Chocolate Bar, made with ruby cacao beans.
- Cheese counter overseen by trained cheesemongers as well as a Certified Cheese Professional for on site for expert recommendations and assistance in creating custom boards, perfect for holiday entertaining.
- Full-service seafood counter featuring house-made garlic herb crab clusters, black truffle crab clusters and stuffed whole fish. Local options include caviar and smoked sturgeon from Tsar Nicoulai Caviar, fresh oysters from Bodega Bay Oyster Co. and trout from TWO X SEA. All offerings are either sustainable wild-caught or Responsibly Farmed.
- Extensive selection of 250 beers, more than 100 spirits and nearly 600 wines. The selection includes beer from Temescal Brewing, made from hand-crafted malt sourced from Admiral Maltings in Alameda.
- Bakery offering Whole Foods Market favorites, such as the Berry Chantilly Cake, brown butter cookies, vegan croissants and scones. The department also offers a wide variety of items for special diets, like gluten-free cupcakes from Antonina’s Bakery, allergen-free mini muffins from Abe’s and keto cookies from Fancy Pants Bakery. Many bakery offerings are supplied locally, including hearth breads from Starter Bakery, seasonal pies from Pietisserie and hearth bread and pastries from Firebrand.
- Wellness and Beauty section featuring more than 400 local products, including adaptogen-rich, inclusive skin care by Undefined Beauty, greens-rich moringa powder by Kuli Kuli, delicious Supershroom products from Goldmine and natural, home-grown skincare from Earth Tu Face.
All food at Whole Foods Market must meet the company’s rigorous Quality Standards, which prohibit hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup and more than 150 flavors, colors, sweeteners and other ingredients commonly found in food. In addition, all beauty and body care products must meet the company’s body care standards, which ban more than 100 commonly used ingredients, including phthalates, parabens and microbeads.
To give back to the Temescal community, Whole Foods Market will be sponsoring the Bay Area Trails Challenge, an annual self-guided and free hiking and bicycling program taking place until Dec. 31, 2021
that encourages people to explore the East Bay regional parks and keep fit outdoors. As part of its Nourishing our Neighborhoods program, Whole Foods Market will donate three refrigerated vans to Food Runners, City Team and Food Shift to help the organizations transport perishable and nonperishable food to neighbors in need. In December, Whole Foods Market will also sponsor the 12 Days of Christmas with Eat.Learn.Play. Foundation, an organization founded by Stephen and Ayesha Curry to fight childhood hunger, ensure access to education and enable active lifestyles. Nonprofit organizations interested in support from Whole Foods Market can visit the Community Giving page to learn more.
Amazon Prime members who shop at Whole Foods Market have access to a number of benefits year-round, including deep discounts on select popular products each week and an additional 10% off hundreds of in-store sale items. Grocery pickup is available at Whole Foods Market Temescal.
For more information and hours of operation, please visit https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/temescal.
About Whole Foods Market
For more than 40 years, Whole Foods Market has been the world’s leading natural and organic foods retailer. As the first certified organic national grocer, Whole Foods Market has more than 500 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. To learn more about Whole Foods Market, please visit http://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/.