Pittsburgh, Pa. (July 21, 2022) – Whole Foods Market will open a new 54,667-square-foot store, located at Liberty East (5700 Penn Avenue) in Pittsburgh, Pa., on Wednesday, Aug. 10 at 8 a.m. ET. The store will serve as a relocation of the existing Pittsburgh store (5880 Centre Avenue), which has served the community for more than 20 years.
The store’s modern, industrial design is inspired by Pittsburgh’s many bridges, with vibrant colors and arches and steel rods painted throughout the store and a mural dedicated to the city. The new location’s product assortment features 120 Pennsylvania suppliers, with products hand-picked by Kathleen Wood and Daniela D’Ambrosio, Local Foragers for Whole Foods Market’s Mid-Atlantic Region.
Features of the East Liberty store include:
- An array of organic, conventional and Sourced for Good Local options include zucchini, tomatoes, cucumber and eggplant from Clarion River Organics and salad kits from Fifth Season.
- Full-service meat counter, with butchers available to cut steaks to order or debone poultry. Features include house-made sausages, dry-aged beef and a variety of ready-to-cook summer grilling items, such as kabobs, gourmet burgers and marinated meats. Local options include chicken from LaBelle Patrimoine, pork from Pennbrook Acres Farms and chicken from Bell & Evans.
- Full-service seafood counter featuring lobster rolls, seafood burgers and jumbo lump crab cakes. Department offerings also include grilled shrimp and scallops and bacon-wrapped shrimp and scallop skewers from Raw Seafoods, Inc. as well as hot and cold smoked salmon from Ivy City Smokehouse. All seafood is either sustainable wild-caught or Responsibly Farmed.
- Specialty department dedicated to celebrating cheesemakers and artisan producers. Local items include Vampire Slayer from Calkins Creamery, Bloomy Breeze from Firefly Farms, Strawberry Lavender Lemon Zest Preserve from Eat This Yum!, PHL Dark Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel Bar from Éclat Chocolate and The Dangerous Stuff almond English toffee from The Toffee House. The cheese counter is overseen by trained cheesemongers who can offer recommendations for any occasion and create custom boards.
- Extensive selection of more than 250 craft beers and 700 wines. Local options include Perpetual IPA from Tröegs Independent Brewing, Chapter 3: Nostalgia from Two Robbers Seltzer Co. and Bane of Existence from Hitchhiker Brewing Co.
- A Prepared Foods section featuring hot and cold food bars, a pizza station, ready-to-eat rotisserie chickens and sushi by Kikka.
- Bakery offering made-from-scratch bread as well as everyday favorites, such as Whole Foods Market’s Berry Chantilly Cake, brown butter cookies and vegan croissants and scones. The department also carries a wide variety of special diet items, including gluten-free cheesecakes and pastries from Moondance, gluten-free cupcakes from Lucky Spoon Bakery, gluten-free dessert bars from Ethel’s Baking Co. and no-sugar-added cheesecake from Pearl River. Local offerings include fresh breads from Mediterra, macarons from Gaby et Jules and biscotti from ZaZa’s Gourmet Biscotti.
- A full-service coffee bar offering coffee, lattes, cold brew and tea. Seasonal summer drinks include Mint Matcha Lemonade and Peach Oolong Tea.
- Whole Body section featuring a selection of supplements, beauty, bath and lifestyle items, including body care from Hand In Hand, personal care products from Tusk and experiential bath products from Pacha Soap Co. Local items include candles from PGH Candle and letterpress greeting cards from Meshwork Press.
Whole Foods Market East Liberty will be open from 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. ET on opening day. Customers who stop by the new store on opening morning can enjoy complimentary Steel Cup Coffee and snacks from Zaza’s Biscotti. Additionally, the first 400 customers will receive a gift card valued between $5 and $100 and a Whole Foods Market East Liberty tote bag. The store will also host a Community Cares donation event from 11 – 1 p.m. ET on opening day with donation partner 412 Food Rescue, providing food to community members in need. Customers can find more details on opening day events by visiting https://pitgrandopening2022.splashthat.com.
All food at Whole Foods Market must meet the company’s rigorous Quality Standards, which prohibit hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup and more than 230 flavors, colors, sweeteners and other ingredients commonly found in food. In addition, all beauty and body care products must meet the company’s body care standards, which ban more than 180 commonly used ingredients, including phthalates and parabens.
To give back to the Pittsburgh community, Whole Foods Market will make a $5,000 donation to the Enright Community Garden, a local community garden and partnership between Grow Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh Land Trust. Whole Foods Market will also donate over $10,000 to hyper-local community organizations supporting community food systems, education and leadership development, including Catapult Greater Pittsburgh, Garfield Community Farm and Youth Enrichment Services (YES).
Amazon Prime members who shop at Whole Foods Market have access to a number of benefits year-round, including deep discounts on select popular products each week and an additional 10% off hundreds of in-store sale items. Grocery pickup will be available at Whole Foods Market East Liberty. For more information and hours of operation, please visit https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/eastliberty.
About Whole Foods Market
For more than 40 years, Whole Foods Market has been the world’s leading natural and organic foods retailer. As the first certified organic national grocer, Whole Foods Market has more than 500 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. To learn more about Whole Foods Market, please visit http://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/.