Kogi opens at Whole Foods Market Plaza El Segundo
Store celebrates grand reopening with unveiling of Roy Choi’s latest venue
LOS ANGELES (Nov. 7, 2016) – Whole Foods Market has partnered Los Angeles chef Roy Choi to open a Kogi location inside its El Segundo store, opening Wednesday, Nov. 9, at 760 S Sepulveda Blvd in Plaza El Segundo. The opening coincides with the completion of a major remodel of the 66,500-square-foot store.
Located within the prepared foods section, Kogi will offer a full menu of its famed tacos, burritos and favorites like the Short Rib Tacos, Blackjack Quesadillas and Blue Moon Mulitas seven days a week. All menu items are made on site and meet Whole Foods Market’s strict quality standards.
"Every menu item is prepared with the same OG Kogi love, the freshest ingredients and our shared commitment to quality,” said Roy Choi, who co-founded Kogi. “We are so proud to continue to be a trailblazer in being the first concept of its kind in now two Los Angeles Whole Foods Market stores.”
Kogi is the second Roy Choi venue within a Whole Foods Market store, Chego opened last year in the company’s downtown Los Angeles location. It is Kogi’s first stationary South Bay location.
“People follow Kogi’s trucks all over Southern California,” said Patrick Bradley, president of Whole Foods Market’s Southern Pacific Region. “Now locals can make it a regular lunch spot or grab Kogi to go when picking up their groceries. We’re thrilled to offer this experience within the South Bay’s new and improved El Segundo store.”
The updated store includes new offerings in almost every department. It was designed to provide shoppers with a more streamlined, efficient shopping experience and new culinary innovations like the partnership with Kogi and the recently opened, “the 2ND,” with 36 beers on tap, 12+ wines by the glass and seasonal menu with items like cauliflower nachos, avocado toast, “boozy” gelato and a brunch menu on the weekends.
- Smokehouse menu in the meat department, plus expanded marinated and value section
- A self-serve pizza station and new pizza menu in prepared foods
- Huge beer and wine selection featuring more than 850 types of beer, including local limited release offerings
- The largest bulk pet food section of any Southern California Whole Foods Market store
- Beautifully designed juice & smoothie bar with made-to-order smoothies, juices and “boost-ups” like pressed ginger, turmeric and wheatgrass
- Updated coffee bar with custom espresso drinks, featuring local Bodhi Leaf blend on cold brew
- Renovated beauty and body care department with a curated selection of premium body care
- Made-to-order-poke bar – opening Nov. 17
- A scratch bread program in bakery and a bread bar – opening January 2017
Whole Foods Market El Segundo will commemorate the grand reopening Wednesday, Nov. 9 at 9 a.m. with a bread-breaking ceremony with team members, Roy Choi and the community. Shoppers can enjoy food and beverage demos, sampling and DJ throughout the day.
For more on Kogi, check out @RidingShotgunLA and @KogiBBQ on Twitter and Instagram. For details on all upcoming events and activities, click here, follow the store on Facebook or @wfmsouthbay on Instagram.
President, Southern Pacific Region
His passion for food, innovation, creativity and retail excellence have contributed to the on-going success of Whole Foods Market.