Whole Foods Market opens in South Capitol Hill
New Washington, DC store to offer culinary creations by local chefs Kwame Onwuachi, Kaz (Kazuhiro) Okochi; SoCap Wine Bar & Pub offering self-serve wine-by-the glass, sip & shop
WASHINGTON, DC (Oct. 17, 2018) – Whole Foods Market in South Capitol Hill opens its doors to the public on Thursday, Oct. 18 at 9 a.m. The new 35,000 square-foot store is located at 101 H St. SE (cross streets of New Jersey Ave and H St. SE) and is the sixth Washington, DC location for Whole Foods Market.
“This store is uniquely designed for the South Capitol Hill shopper” said Nick DiMarco, the Store Team Leader. “From convenient shopping, to delicious dining options and a comfortable atmosphere; we’ve got something for everyone and I can’t wait to welcome our neighbors into their new community store.”
With a wide selection of grocery items, grab-and-go prepared foods, and unique venues, each item sold in the store meets Whole Foods Market’s rigorous quality standards and is free of artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, preservatives and hydrogenated fats. Unique in-store features include:
- Produce department with a 24-foot wall of local greens, self-service fresh orange juice machine, as well as a selection of tropical varieties such as dragon fruit, jack fruit and fresh Aloe Vera leaves
- Convenient hot and cold prepared food solutions including self-serve pizza and Stromboli, rotisserie chickens, paninis and sandwiches, as well as soup and salad bars
- A full-service Allegro Coffee Bar with smoothies and self-serve draft cold-pressed juice, nitro coffee, tea on tap and build-your-own acai bowls
- Made in-house sausage, dry-aged beef and oven-ready options in the full-service meat department
- Seafood department with an expanded selection of whole fish and shellfish as well as ready-to-cook meals
- Expansive bakery featuring self-serve breads, cakes, and mini cupcakes; including gluten free items
- Wide assortment of curated international, national, and local cheeses, as well as a self-serve fresh Severino pasta bar and olive/antipasti bar
- Whole Body care and beauty department with a large selection of seasonal items and all-natural makeup lines – Au Naturale, Pacifica, Mineral Fusion, and W3ll People
- Expansive beer and wine selection, as well as the SoCap Wine Bar & Pub offering 16 self-serve wines by the glass, 12 beers on tap and the ability to sip & shop
As part of the Friends of Whole Foods Market program, the South Capitol Hill store will also feature two unique dining venues – Philly Wing Fry and Kaz Sushi Bistro. Philly Wing Fry is a new concept by Top Chef alumni and DC chef Kwame Onwuachi, who will offer all day food service, as well as service to the SoCap Wine Bar & Pub with a menu of dry-aged beef cheesesteaks, confit chicken wings, and waffle fries. The second location of DC-based Kaz Sushi Bistro will serve grab-and made-to order fresh sushi options.
In celebration of the joining the community, on Wednesday, Oct. 24, 5 percent of the store’s net sales will benefit Building Bridges Across the River’s (BBAR), whose mission is to improve the quality of life for families living east of the Anacostia River by providing leadership, management & fiscal oversight of the 11th Street Bridge Park (Bridge Park), Town Hall Education Arts Recreation Campus (THEARC), THEARC Farm, THEARC Theater & Skyland Workforce Center.
Whole Foods Market South Capitol Hill employs approximately 170 full and part time team members. The store will be open from 7am – 10pm, daily.
Whole Foods Market has five additional Washington, DC area stores: P Street, Foggy Bottom, H Street, Tenleytown and Glover Park (currently closed for renovation).
For more information visit https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/southcapitolhill