AUSTIN, Texas (May 22, 2014) – As temperatures soar and rhythms slow, Whole Foods Market raises a glass to its crisp, playful, delicious Top 10 Summer Wines that are perfect for poolside frolicking or sharing under a blanket of stars on a warm summer night.
Whole Foods Market’s hand-selected summer wines take shoppers on a tasty trip through some of the most prolific wine regions of the world with nothing but a wine glass in hand and a lasting finish as a souvenir. Wine lovers can sip and savor the balanced white peach and thyme flavors of a Spanish verdejo or adventure to the Rhône River Valley with a red whose aromatic black fruit and spicy bouquet pairs perfectly with blue cheese burgers on the grill.
“It is summertime, and the living is much easier with Whole Foods Market's line-up of wines that make for a great time without breaking the bank,” said Doug Bell, global beverage buyer for Whole Foods Market. “There are seasonal sips for every palate and occasion – from dry, light bodied whites to pair with shellfish dinners on the beach to spicy reds to enjoy with backyard barbecues.”
Whole Foods Market invites wine enthusiasts 21 and older to discuss these and other favorite summer wines during two Twitter Tastings on May 29 and June 26. Go to wholefoodsmarket.com/wine for more information and use the hashtag #WFMwine to follow the conversation. The online tasting schedule is:
Thursday, May 29, 7-8 p.m. CDT:
· Innovac!ón Chenin-Chardonnay, Argentina
· Soleil des Garrigues Ventoux, France
· Mas Picosa Capçanes Montsant, Spain
· Deccolio Prosecco, Italy
Thursday, June 26, 7-8 p.m. CDT:
· Frey Agriculturist Organic Blanc, California
· Les Hauts de Bel Air Sauvignon Blanc, France
· Querciabella Mongrana, Italy
· Santa Rita Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile
The company’s Top 10 Summer Wines include:
Innovac!ón Chenin-Chardonnay, Argentina – With aromas of white flowers, apple and papaya, the flavors move from Bosc pear to applesauce and spice. The finish is clean and well-balanced.
· Recipe pairing: Grilled Turkey Burgers with Gouda
· Cheese pairing: Cellars at Jasper Hill Harbison
Frey Agriculturist Organic Blanc, California – This white blend from Frey Vineyards, the first certified organic winery in the U.S., has tropical fruit flavors with a note of sweet grass and whisper of riesling and orange blossom on the finish.
· Recipe pairing: Vietnamese Grilled Pork Chops
· Cheese pairing: Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam
El Perro Verde Rueda, Spain –With a bouquet of grapefruit on the nose, white peach, thyme and subtle savory notes move to a long finish that is nicely balanced between tanginess and fruit.
· Recipe pairing: Chilled Melon Ball Soup with Basil
· Cheese pairing: Mitica Mahon
Les Hauts de Bel Air Sauvignon Blanc, France – This Entre-Deux-Mers Bordeaux blanc is made by the Sichel family and has aromas of grapefruit zest, rosemary then green pepper and delicate yellow peach and citrus flavors that lead to a balanced mineral-tinged finish.
· Recipe pairing: Spicy Celery Salad
· Cheese pairing: Sevre et Belle Bucherondin
Louis Latour Grand Ardèche Chardonnay, France – In the bouquet, there is toasty oak, fresh green apple and pear, and there is a depth of richness and balance in the smooth, ripe finish.
· Recipe pairing: Roasted Heirloom Tomato Butter with Thyme
· Cheese pairing: Vermont Creamery Bonne Bouche
Soleil des Garrigues Ventoux, France – With black fruit, spices and sweet cherry on the nose, this red blend has minerality and sweet anise flavors with soft tannins gently rounding out the finish.
· Recipe pairing: Grilled Chicken with Fresh Herbs
· Cheese pairing: Mons St. Soleil
Montevina Barbera, California – This juicy, easy drinking red is a terrific food wine. With fresh acid and low tannins, it displays aromas of cherry and Amador spice and flavors of dark cherry and toasty oak.
· Recipe pairing: Lamb Sliders with Celery-Yogurt Sauce
· Cheese pairing: Taleggio Ca De Ambros
Sanford Flor de Campo Pinot Noir, California – An initial burst of bright red raspberries and bing cherries moves to hints of cola, black pepper and earthiness. Toasty oak influences the balanced, medium finish.
· Recipe pairing: Grilled Salmon with Sweet Corn and Avocado Salad
· Cheese pairing: Uniekaas Robusto
Querciabella Mongrana, Italy –From the largest area of certified organic-grape-growing land in Italy, this red blend has a complexity of dark fruit and sweet anise. A lovely, rich butteriness backs up notes of sour cherry and cocoa.
· Recipe pairing: Spinach and Ricotta Salata Grilled Pizza
· Cheese pairing: Seaside Cheddar
Santa Rita Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile – This Maipo Valley red has forward herbal notes of green parsley mixed with aromas of ripe black fruit. Food friendly and well-balanced, intense flavors of black pepper and ripe plum deepen the lingering finish.
· Recipe pairing: Flank Steak Fajitas with Mango Chimichurri
· Cheese pairing: Roquefort
Mas Picosa Capçanes Monstant 2013, Spain – This Priorat red has spice cake and candied dark berry aromas and a jammy fruit counterpointed by a zesty minerality. The long finish is rounded out by soft tannins.
· Recipe pairing: Black Bean Tostadas with Pickled Veggies
· Cheese pairing: Catamount Hills Cheddar
Deccolio Prosecco, Italy – This perfect bellini sparkler has lemon-lime, tangerine, tropical fruit and honey on the nose. With fruit-forward flavors of orange peel, peach and apricot, this refreshing wine is medium-bodied on the palate.
· Recipe pairing: Sonoma Tofu Salad
· Cheese pairing: Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog