CORAL GABLES, Florida (September 10, 2007). Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFMI), the world's leading natural and organic foods supermarket, today announced that Wednesday, September 26, will be the date of the grand opening of its new Whole Foods Market Coral Gables store. The festivities will begin at 8 a.m. in front of the store with complimentary breakfast for customers, followed at 9:00 a.m. by a traditional Whole Foods Market “bread breaking ceremony” — a foodie twist on the traditional ribbon cutting event. The 47,700-square-foot-store, located on Red Road between Venera and San Remo Avenues, will generate 250 new jobs.
“The Coral Gables store will offer shoppers the ultimate Whole Foods Market experience, with an incredible variety of fresh foods and an exciting and innovative atmosphere in a natural environment,” said Steve Ramos, Store Team Leader. “Friends and business colleagues can meet for a casual breakfast or lunch. Parents can bring their children for healthful snacks. The beautiful indoor and outdoor cafés are the perfect settings to enjoy our innovative and exciting natural, local and organic foods.”
Sneak Preview Tours & Grand Opening Weekend Activities
Whole Foods Market is offering store fans, food enthusiasts, and the general public a pre-opening, behind-the-scenes look at the new store during a series of sneak preview tours scheduled for Monday, September 24, from noon to 8 p.m. The tours will include a department-by-department look at the latest innovations that Whole Foods Market is bringing to Coral Gables, as well as samples of locally grown fruits and vegetables, specialty cheeses, restaurant quality prepared foods, and other all-natural products. Those interested in attending need to register online at www.WholeFoodsRSVP.com.
Following the bread breaking ceremony, grand opening weekend activities will continue with special free samples, in-store chef demonstrations, classes and events for all ages, from September 26 to September 30. Details will be available in store and online at www.wholefoodsmarket.com.
The store's natural exterior environment features traditional old-style lighting, wide perimeter walkways, a handcrafted water fountain, and a 138-seat indoor-outdoor café with shaded benches and tables produced from reclaimed wood.
Inside, every department presents a superb selection of offerings, including:
- A 3,000 square-foot produce section with over 500 items, more than half of which are organic, as well as fresh-cut, ready-to-use or ready-to-eat fruits and vegetables.
- A 25-foot fresh seafood counter with a wide selection of freshly caught items delivered six days a week, and expertly prepared ready-to-cook items. Professional fish mongers are always available to cut or fillet customers' choices to order.
- A 36-foot, full-service meat case with dozens of oven-ready items, including freshly made sausages and flavored, gourmet burgers.
- A custom made hardwood smoker and self service BBQ Bar offering a wide variety of items, including sausages, pulled chicken, pork, hamburgers, and briskets.
- Dry-aged beef, aged in-store, and a grilling station that will grill choice meats for in-store dining or take out.
- Asian Express foods prepared to order by popular local restaurant Sushi Maki, including fresh sushi, hand rolls, pyramid rolls, noodle bowls, teriyaki and grilled items, miso soup, spring rolls, pot stickers and steamed dumplings.
- More than 40 items on both a full service and self service hot bar and a 30+ item salad bar featuring fresh cut organic vegetables and lettuces as well as deserts. Hot bars will showcase our chefs' talents with a wide variety of cuisines from around the world – Asian, Indian, Latin, Italian, continental and homestyle comfort, all prepared on site and fresh daily.
- More than 15 daily-made soups on three separate self-service soup bars.
- Over 50 items from the cold and hot chefs' cases featuring signature entrées and sides, including several flavors of Scottish salmon, fish, seafood salads, veal, lamb, chicken, beef, vegetarian and vegan items.
- Freshly packed, ready-to-eat prepared foods, including organic sliced deli meats and cheeses, deli-style salads, finger foods, ethnic foods, complete meals-to-go (single serve and family size), gourmet salads, and kosher offerings.
- Gourmet hot and cold sandwiches inspired by world cuisine as well as new twists on classic favorites.
- A charcuterie: An Old World delicatessen featuring hand sliced turkey breasts in a variety of flavors, hams, salamis, prosciutto, mortadella, and cheeses.
- A self-service rotisserie with whole chickens in a variety of flavors, as well as other rotisserie meats.
- A brick oven pizza hearth featuring made-to-order Italian specialties such as hand tossed pizzas, calzones and strombolis.
- Latin-inspired offerings, including Cuban coffees, select meat cuts, and grilled Cuban sandwiches. And – from our in-store bakery – authentic Cuban breads, pastries, empanadas, rice puddings, tres leches cakes, and dulce de leche cakes.
- Decadent sweet confections from local chocolatiers.
- An in-store roaster for Allegro® coffee beans, single-cup coffee brewed to order at the full-service coffee and espresso bar.
- A full-service bakery featuring freshly-baked breads, pies, cookies, muffins, organic and vegan offerings, plus an in-house cake decorator for special occasions such as weddings, birthdays, and anniversaries.
- An expansive wine department with more than 900 organic, hard-to-find, limited-availability wines, as well as a large selection for under $10.
- An extensive floral department with a professional floral designer available to plan weddings, parties, or a centerpiece to make your next dinner event unique.
- Convenient valet parking, covered self-parking and a unique shopping cart escalator for easy access to the upper level parking garage.
The Coral Gables Whole Foods Market store also features a comprehensive, user-friendly Whole Body™ department, offering a large selection of luxurious natural body care items and cosmetics, as well as a broad selection of high-quality nutritional supplements and vitamins. All products in the Whole Body department are made with the highest quality natural ingredients and are free of harsh chemicals and unnecessary fillers. The store will also include a Whole Baby™ section with a wide variety of natural baby foods, lotions and infant care items.
The community will enjoy the store's Whole Lifestyle Center where local and in-store chefs will host cooking classes in the center's fully-equipped kitchen. The public is invited to enjoy health lectures, fitness classes, children's events, store tours, food and wine tastings, and other activities focused on wellness.
Whole Foods Market's company-wide commitment to the environment and energy conservation is evident throughout the Coral Gables store. An environmentally friendly approach to construction and décor promotes a healthy place to shop and work. Recycled and reclaimed materials are used in every department. High performance mechanical and electrical systems, including air-powered doors, increase energy efficiency. Non-toxic paint and no-wax, polished concrete floors provide a more healthful in-store environment.
“We are very proud to become an active member of the Coral Gables community,” said Ramos. “This store continues the tradition of Whole Foods Market providing the best possible service and shopping experience to our customers at their convenient, neighborhood store.”
Since 1980, Whole Foods Market has pioneered the organic and natural foods movement. All products meet Whole Foods Market's strict quality standards to ensure they are free of artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings, preservatives and hydrogenated fats. Skilled buyers search the globe for the finest authentic products, artisans, and renowned purveyors of produce, meat, seafood, cheese, coffee, and other delicacies.