NEWPORT BEACH (Aug. 21, 2012) – Shoppers looking for a one-of-a-kind experience will find it at the new Whole Foods Market Newport Beach when it opens on Sept. 19 at 9.a.m.
Located at 415 Newport Center Drive in Fashion Island, the much-anticipated store opening will mark the fifth Whole Foods Market in Orange County. It will also mark a first for the world’s leading natural and organic foods supermarket with the national debut of the “Tea Hive,” a fusion café and tea bar.
The store’s commitment to locally-sourced products will be evident by its offerings from more than 100 local vendors and farmers from nearby Orange, San Diego and Los Angeles counties including: Homegrown Meats, Backyard Bees (with products in both grocery and Whole Body), Archi's Acres, Stehly, Suzies, Go Green, Carlsbad Aquafarm, Ale Smith, South Coast Winery and Fallbrook Winery.
In addition to showcasing a variety of features and products consistent with the Whole Foods Market promise of offering the highest-quality natural and organic products, the 32,000 square-foot store will also include the coastal-themed Back Bay Tavern, a relaxing and casual beer and wine bar.
“Every Whole Foods Market location is unique to its community and this Newport Beach store will have something for everyone. Whether you work in the area and want to stop in for a natural and delicious lunch in our Back Bay Tavern, drop in to grab a refreshing tea drink after a yoga class or just want to enjoy a glass of wine after shopping — this will be a great destination,” said Patrick Bradley, regional president for Whole Foods Market Southern Pacific Region. “Given the healthy, active and outdoor lifestyles of the people who live and work in the greater Newport Beach area, we are excited to be opening a store that is tailored especially for them.”
Designed and built with the environment in mind, all of the wood used on the walls and soffits is reclaimed lumber salvaged from old canneries in Northern California. In the wine and dairy areas, used wine tank staves, stained deep purple and light red from the wine in the barrels, were used on the walls. In 2008, the bar had a small cameo role in the movie, Revolutionary Road. The smaller bar used for the Express wine and beer bar at the front of the store was made with reclaimed wood from the 19th century.
“We were passionate about designing a store with unique features that reflect the Newport Beach lifestyle,” said George Khoury, store team leader at Whole Foods Market Newport Beach. “We are excited to be part of an innovative community that embraces new trends and look forward to bringing customers an experience that truly sets us apart from any other market,” added Khoury.
The Tea Hive – Customers will be able to choose green, black or oolong tea in almost any imaginable form – whether frozen, sparkling, iced or steamed. Specialty drinks are made in martini shakers by “Tea Tenders.” Among the offerings are a: Pomarita, a refreshing blend of pomegranate and tart lime with green tea, and Chocolate Chai, black tea, spiced chai, chocolate and cinnamon. Paired with these delicious beverages, are natural fusion entrees, such as bowls and wraps using local and organic products.
Back Bay Tavern – Seating for 150 and a rotating selection of 24 craft beers on tap, plus wine and spirits, along with an extensive menu that includes beef, seafood, vegetarian and vegan meals. A smaller “Express” beer and wine bar with 12 beers on tap will be available at the front of the store for quicker service.
Additional highlights of the Whole Foods Market Newport shopping experience include:
- Extensive produce section: Seasonal varieties including locally grown fruits and vegetables like: California Morro Bay Avocados, organic local chards and kales, and Manessero local tomatoes and veggies.
- Meat department: Highest quality meat, from animals raised without antibiotics and added hormones. All meats adhere to Whole Foods Market’s stringent quality standards, including a full line of 100% grass-fed, locally-sourced beef and chicken, a variety of selections ready to take home and cook, and in-house smoked meats will be offered. A new ‘Get Crocked’ section that features complete meals that can be taken home and easily prepared in a crockpot
- Seafood department: Sustainably-sourced fresh filets, steaks, local and seasonal seafood, whole fish and oven-ready selections. Fresh seafood is delivered up to six days a week.
- Hot and cold bar options: Prepared salads and rotating menu items such as a smoked taco program and a full Asian menu with sushi, Japanese, Chinese and Korean options. The salad bar will be 100% organic featuring local vendors.
- Full in-store bakery: A team of dedicated bakers creating freshly made breads from scratch, including focaccias, baguettes, 100% whole grain cakes, muffins, cupcakes, fruit tarts, cookies, and special diet selections like vegan and gluten-free treats.
- Juice and coffee bar: Fresh squeezed juices and freshly brewed coffee as well as an all-new “Instant Oatmeal On-the-Go.
- Value-conscious grocery items: Whole Foods Markets 365 Everyday Value brand pantry staples with thousands of products priced at the same low prices, everyday.
- Bulk and raw foods: Extensive selection featuring heirloom beans, sprouted nuts/grains/flours
- Prepared foods: Serving a wide variety of everyday favorites such as handcrafted pizza by the slice or the whole pie, in-house chips and dips, custom-made sandwiches, bar, hot soups, meals-on-the-go and Weekday Deals.
- 48 feet of beer of which 8 feet is dedicated to all the canned beer varieties
- There will be cocktails made with organic ingredients and over 100 wines under $9.99 ~ some wines starting at $1.99 per bottle. For the wine connoisseurs, there will also be more than 100 wines with 90+ Points ratings and a 100-point wine set.
- Whole Body section: Personal-care items to care for the whole body along with nutritional supplements and vitamins.
- Free Wi-Fi and plenty of parking.
For additional information on Whole Foods Market’s Newport Beach store, please visit www.wholefoodsmarket.com or to stay updated on grand opening events and activities, follow Whole Foods Market Newport Beach on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WholeFoodsMarketNewportBeach and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/WholeFoodsNB.