DEL MAR, Calif. (Feb. 6, 2013) – Shoppers looking for a one-of-a-kind experience will find it at the new Whole Foods Market Del Mar when it opens on Feb. 27 at 9.a.m. Known for tailoring its stores to each community, the company’s 30,000 square foot Del Mar store will feature coastal seafood favorites and a casual bar and restaurant called the Trifecta Tavern.
Located at 2600 Via De La Valle in Del Mar (in the Flower Hill shopping center), the much-anticipated store opening will mark the fourth Whole Foods Market to open in San Diego County. With demand in the area growing, Whole Foods Market just completed major renovations in two of its busiest San Diego stores, Hillcrest and LaJolla. New store features include: in-store bar/restaurants, coffee and juice bar, new hot food venues and expanded dairy and beer sections.
“Whole Foods Market has such a loyal and growing customer base in the San Diego area, we wanted to bring the Del Mar community their own store. Whether you stop in to enjoy a glass of wine after shopping, work in the area and want to grab a delicious meal-to-go or are just passing through town looking for a delicious lunch in our Trifecta Tavern — this will be a great destination,” said Patrick Bradley, regional president for Whole Foods Market Southern Pacific Region. “While the Del Mar store will be a great addition to the community, we also invite San Diego residents closer to either our La Jolla or Hillcrest stores to go and check out all the exciting renovations and newly added features.”
The store’s commitment to locally-sourced products is evidenced by its offerings from more than 100 local vendors and farmers from nearby Orange, San Diego and Los Angeles counties including: Homegrown Meats, Archi's Acres, Be Wise, Stehly, Suzies Organic Farm, Carlsbad Aquafarm, South Coast Winery and Fallbrook Winery.
Designed and built with the environment in mind, the store interior look and feel is influenced by the prominent geographical and natural landscape features of the immediate surrounding area: the bluffs, the Torrey Pines groves, chaparral laden hillsides, and the lagoons. In addition, significant local venues and cultural amenities like the horse culture and golf courses inspired the graphics and other creative design elements in the store environment.
“We wanted to design a store with unique features that reflect the Del Mar lifestyle and we are confident that residents and visitors alike will have everything they need and more,” said Marc Bird, store team leader at Whole Foods Market Del Mar. “We are excited to be part of a beautiful new center that will quickly become a popular shopping destination and look forward to bringing customers an experience that truly sets Whole Foods Market apart from any other market,” added Bird.
Trifecta Tavern: a relaxing and casual bar/restaurant with seating for 50+ and a rotating selection of over 30 craft beers on tap, plus wine, along with an extensive food menu featuring local produce and Homegrown Beef.
Additional highlights of the Whole Foods Market Del Mar shopping experience include:
- Extensive produce section: Seasonal varieties including locally grown fruits and vegetables like: Aviara’s locally grown strawberries, Archie’s Acres hydroponic basil, and numerous offerings from our friends at Suzie’s Organic Farm and Be Wise Ranch.
- Meat department: Highest quality meat, from animals raised without antibiotics and added hormones. All meats adhere to Whole Foods Market’s stringent quality standards, including a full line of 100% grass-fed, locally-sourced beef and chicken, a variety of selections ready to take home and cook, and in-house smoked meats will be offered.
- Seafood department: Sustainably-sourced fresh filets, steaks, local and seasonal seafood, whole fish, Live Sea Urchin & Uni, Abalone and oven-ready selections. Fresh seafood is delivered up to six days a week.
- Hot and cold bar options: Prepared salads and rotating hot menu items as well as a full Asian menu with sushi, Japanese, Chinese and Korean options. An entire side of the salad bar will be 100% organic featuring local vendors.
- Sandwich Bar using nearly all locally-sourced San Diego ingredients
- Full in-store bakery: A team of dedicated bakers creating freshly made breads from scratch, including focaccias, baguettes, muffins, cupcakes, fruit tarts, cookies, and special diet selections like vegan and gluten-free treats. Exclusive to the Del Mar bakery will also be fresh, warm donuts and churros as well as custom decorated cakes bakery department created by a top local decorator.
- Juice and coffee bar: Fresh squeezed juices and freshly brewed coffee specialties using 100% organic ingredients. Popular Del Mar juice concoctions will include: The Doctor’s Orders, Sea Foam Greens and Del Mar Garden and ‘Health Starts Here’ Smoothies such as: Green & Glowing and Berry Nutritious.
- Great Value: Whole Foods Markets 365 Everyday Value® brand pantry staples with thousands of products priced at the same low prices, everyday.
- Bulk and raw foods: Selection featuring heirloom beans, sprouted nuts/grains/granolas and trail mixes and an expanded bulk section. Other favorites include: local honey (Seal Beach), local olive oil (Santa Barbara), local avocado oil (Temecula), chef’s dried chilis and mushrooms, local Medjool dates (Coachella Valley)
- Prepared foods: Serving a wide variety of everyday favorites such as handcrafted pizza by the slice or the whole pie, in-house chips and dips, custom-made sandwiches, bar, meals-on-the-go and Weekday Deals. Hot & cold bar features include: healthy Plant Strong (no oil) soups, salads and entrees.
- Specialty: An exclusive “Tri Milk Sampler” (snack tray of 3 cheeses/each a different milk & crackers). Cow: Parrano or Robusto; Sheep: Ewe’s milk Gouda; Goat: Yodeling Goat or Montchevre medallion. These kits are great snacks for picnics, beach outings and holidays. Another exclusive are the flavored Ricotta Tortas and Gigandes’ Bean Spreads (a vegan offering).
- 60 feet of local beer which includes16 feet of local selections.
- Wine: Largest selection of local, organic and sulfite-free wines, some starting at $2.49 per 750ml bottle and more than 100 varieties under $10. Large selection of wines with 90+ point ratings for under $25.
- Whole Body section: A knowledge staff with more than 25 years experience to help with personal-care items to care for the whole body along with nutritional supplements and vitamins. More than 125 local Whole Body care and nutritional products that meet the strictest quality standards.
- Free Wi-Fi, total seating for 100 (including Trifecta Tavern) and plenty of parking.
For additional information on Whole Foods Market’s Del Mar store, please visit www.wholefoodsmarket.com or to stay updated on grand opening events and activities, follow Whole Foods Market Del Mar on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WholeFoodsMarketDelMar and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/WholeFoodsMark2