Chicago (April 15, 2015) – Whole Foods Market (Nasdaq: WFM), the world’s leading natural and organic foods supermarket, opens its new 45,000 square foot store located at 215 South Illinois Route 83 in Elmhurst Wednesday, May 27, 2015. The much-anticipated store will provide residents in and around the Elmhurst community with fresh, high quality foods in a convenient and contemporary setting.
“At Whole Foods Market, we have a deep passion for fresh, flavorful natural and organic foods and we are elated to open a store for the Elmhurst community,” says Whole Foods Market Elmhurst Store Team Leader, Jason Krapausky, “Whether looking for high-quality meats and poultry or everyday pantry staples, residents from the health conscious to devoted food enthusiasts will find what they’re looking for. We strongly believe that food in its purest state – free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, colorings and trans fat – is the best tasting and most nutritious food available.”
To celebrate opening day, Whole Foods Market will host its version of a ribbon cutting called a “Bread-Breaking Ceremony” with Whole Foods Market Team Members and Elmhurst neighbors beginning at 8:45 a.m. Doors open and shopping officially begin at 9 a.m. The first 500 customers through the doors will receive a Whole Foods Market Gift Card with a mystery value between $5 and $50. One customer will receive a $500 gift card.
On the Shelves and In the Aisles
The store is designed to feel like a gathering of “boutiques within a store,” offering customers an intimate and inviting shopping experience. Featuring restaurant-quality prepared foods and the convenience of one-stop shopping, the store features a number of unique and enticing elements chosen specifically with the Elmhurst community in mind. Highlights include:
• Restaurant and Grill: Customers can stop in for breakfast, lunch or dinner for some hot, delicious meals.
• 5-Step Rated Meat: The Global Animal Partnership’s 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating system provides shoppers with a new level of transparency about how farm animals are raised.
• Seafood from Sustainable Sources: Customers can chose from a variety of responsibly sourced seafood options that are fresh, delicious and support a healthy marine ecosystems.
• Freshly Made Sushi: A variety of specialty rolls, including those made with brown or whole grain rice, made in-house by experts for customers.
• Salad and Hot Bars: The Elmhurst community will love the freshly prepared salads, build-your-own salad fixings and hot entrees available for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
• Panini and Pizza Venues: Customers can choose from a variety of delicious pizza and panini sandwiches for quick lunch or dinner options.
• Health Starts Here™ Program: This store will provide tools and education to help shoppers make healthier choices, including an assortment of specially crafted Health Starts Here dishes on the hot and cold food bars.
• Bulk Department: Back-to-basics pantry items for all of the Elmhurst community’s cooking needs.
• Foods from Around the Globe: A variety of foods to meet diverse cultural and dietary needs of the Elmhurst community.
• Scratch Bakery: Shoppers will enjoy a wide variety of freshly baked pastries including croissants, muffins, cookies, soft pretzels and more.
• Catering Service: Elmhurst shoppers will love the experienced catering department to help build a menu filled with fresh and delicious foods for parties, events and any special occasion.
Also featured at this location:
• More than 200 varieties of seasonal, organic and local produce, with a variety of hard-to-find items.
• More than 200 varieties of natural, organic and local cheeses.
• More than 50 varieties of fresh seafood and shellfish, all harvested using sustainable practices.
• A large variety of custom-cut meats from in-house butchers.
• A robust and exciting selection of olives, artisanal butters and cheeses.
• A vast array of vegetarian and vegan choices.
• A large selection of luxurious natural body care items and cosmetics including bulk soaps.
• Advanced nutritional supplements and vitamins made of only natural ingredients.
• A beautiful selection of Whole Trade Guarantee fresh-cut flowers and plants.
• Essential grocery staples, including Whole Foods Market’s own 365 Everyday Value® signature line of products offering the same high standards for taste and quality at everyday low prices.
Whole Foods will open additional locations in Chicago’s Edgewater neighborhood, 6009 North Broadway, and the Chicago suburbs of Evanston, 2748 Green Bay Road, and Willowbrook, 6300 Kingery Hwy. Additionally, Whole Foods Market expects to open two more Illinois locations by the end of 2017 including stores in the Englewood and Hyde Park neighborhoods of Chicago. Chicago stores previously opened in 2015 include: Streeterville, 255 East Grand Avenue; DePaul, 959 West Fullerton; West Loop, 1 North Halsted.
Whole Foods Market hired approximately 150 Team Members for each new location.