PHOENIX, Ariz. (Aug. 29, 2013) – Shoppers will find that change is not only good, it can be great when the new Whole Foods Market Camelback store opens on Sept. 18 at 9 a.m. Located at 4701 N 20th St. (20th and Camelback in the Biltmore area), the much-anticipated store opening is the relocation of the Raintree store, which has served the community for nearly 10 years. Located in the heart of Phoenix, the new 35,000 square foot store is almost 10,000 feet larger than the previous location, and features expanded selections in the Prepared Foods and Bakery departments, as well as a great variety of products and innovations in each department. Among the standout features are a casual lounge and restaurant called Twenty Highland Tavern, serving up several wines and dozens of beer on tap and a Specialty Coffee & Espresso Bar serving caffeine by the cup made from in-house roasted 100 percent Arabica beans.
“We are proud to be a part of the thriving Phoenix community and the 20th and Camelback location will give us an even greater opportunity to provide the highest quality natural and organic products to Phoenix residents,” said Patrick Bradley, President, Southern Pacific Region, Whole Foods Market. “Our new store at 20th and Camelback will feature a variety of new venues and programs to offer our customers everything they need—from ingredients for cooking delicious meals at home or convenient snacks to take on the go.”
The new Camelback store reflects the company’s mission of supporting locally-sourced and locally-made products, sustainable agriculture and the environment. With a focus on fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, specialty items, high-quality meats and poultry, everyday pantry staples and sustainable seafood, the store will appeal to a variety of customers ranging from the health conscious to serious food enthusiasts.
The store’s commitment to locally-sourced products is evidenced by its offerings from several local vendors and farmers including: Briggs & Eggers, Willcox Greenhouse and Sunizona.
Designed and built with the environment in mind, the architecture reflects a relaxed and modern-meets-classic southwestern approach along with nods to the mid-century design movement. Material and colors are derived from desert landscapes with jewel tone pops inspired by desert blooms. The store’s interior takes inspiration from the flat surfaces and hard angles of the desert environment and is complimented by typography, vibrant patterns, streamlined geometric illustrations and bright earthy color. The desert modern material palette featured throughout the store is beautiful in its simplicity and harmoniousness with the local environment.
“We wanted to design a store that would reflect the desert lifestyle and we are confident that residents and visitors alike will have everything they need and more,” said Mike Hardy, store team leader at Whole Foods Market Camelback. “We are excited to be able to serve our loyal customers in this beautiful new location and look forward to delivering an experience that truly sets Whole Foods Market apart from any other market.”.
CAMELBACK STORE STAND-OUT FEATURES
Twenty Highland Tavern: A relaxing and casual bar/restaurant with indoor and patio seating for more than 50 to enjoy a rotating selection of more than 36 craft beers on tap (with at least 20 local options), plus six wine taps, mixologist-inspired cocktails and an extensive menu featuring local produce and sustainable meats.
Additional highlights of the Whole Foods Market Camelback shopping experience will include:
- Extensive produce section: Seasonal varieties including locally grown fruits and vegetables like: apples and pears from Briggs & Eggers, Willcox potted kitchen herbs and Sunizona squash and tomatoes. Avocados, a Southwestern staple, are displayed in two ways ─ ripe, ready to eat avocados and two-to-three day ripe avocados. “The Squeeze” juice bar serves up fresh produce by the glass.
- Meat department: Highest quality meats, from animals raised without antibiotics and added hormones. All meats adhere to Whole Foods Market’s stringent quality standards, including a full line of California raised organic grass-fed beef and fresh California raised organic chicken that have been fed a non-GMO diet. Also available are in-house smoked meats, a full selection of pre-seasoned ready-to-cook meats and a variety of selections that are ready to take and home and prepare.
- Seafood department: Sustainably-sourced fresh filets, steaks and seasonal seafood, whole fish and oven-ready selections. Fresh seafood is delivered up to six days a week.
- Cheese and Meats: A comprehensive selection of raw, grass fed and farmstead cheeses and the highest quality in-house roasted meats, using organic and grass fed options when available. Team member inspired dips, pates and culinary concoctions, including a new avocado mousse and red pepper/eggplant babaghanoush, round out the offerings. The “Sandwich Collective” will feature in-house made daily specialty sandwiches from this counter.
- Prepared foods: A wide variety of everyday favorites such as hand tossed pizza by the slice or the whole pie, custom-made sandwiches venue using in house prepared meats and local Mediterra breads, and chef-inspired creations. The WOKeria features wok fired fajitas, burritos, and bowls. New rotisserie offerings include hot sides and “bowls on the run.” There will also be Weekday Deals such as pizza specials, value meals, $2 dollar off food bars on Wednesday and Rotisserie chicken deals.
- Health Starts Here: For shoppers looking to add more fruits, vegetables and whole grains to their diet, Whole Foods Market will offer its Health Starts Here Brand items which are nutrient dense and free of added sugars and refined oils. The Health Starts Here smoothies are 100 percent fruit-based! In the Grocery department, there are Engine 2™ cereals, alternative milks, frozen grain blends, hummus, tortillas as well as new Prepackaged Grain salads in Prepared Foods! More information on the Healthy Eating program can be found at www.wholefoodsmarket.com/healthy-eating
- Hot and cold bar options: Prepared salads and rotating hot menu items featuring Plant-Strong™ (no added oil) soups, salads and entrees. Other features will include a full Asian menu with sushi and a salad bar with many organic options from local vendors.
- Full in store bakery: A team of dedicated bakers crafting handmade bread selections from scratch. Delicious cakes will be made in house including cupcakes and fresh fruit tarts. The Camelback bakery will include mouthwatering savory croissants such as Parmesan Leek and Spinach Feta. The bakery is also featuring a new line of biscotti with flavors ranging from Chocolate Hazelnut to Cranberry Pistachio and a line of “Big Pack” Value Cookies in various flavors. The Cake Case will also offer a new line of French Macarons and desserts from ROCQ Macarons and cake offerings delivered fresh from a local bakery, Honeymoon Sweets.
- Coffee & Espresso Bar: The finest, freshest, highest quality 100 percent Arabica beans, roasted in-store will satisfy even the most sophisticated and discriminating coffee connoisseurs. Several brewing apparatuses will be used to create the perfect jolt of java, including Pour Over and French Presses java jolts. Featured coffee drinks will include the Spanish Classics “Café Cortados” (espresso with caramelized sugar & steamed milk served in a 6.oz shot glass) and “Café con leche” (a dark roasted coffee with raw sugar, cinnamon, and frothed milk!); and “YAMA”, a slow-brewed (five hours) iced coffee served on the rocks with rimmed with Turbinado sugar and garnished with lemon rind.
- Wine: One of the largest selections of local wines in Phoenix and the largest selection of organic and sulfite-free wines, some starting at $2.99 per 750ml bottle; more than 100 varieties under $10, and many 90 Point rated wines under $25.
- Beer: For the best in beer visit the new “Rated Beer Barge” featuring domestic and imported beers rated highly by distinguished publications. The best just gets better with 44 feet of chilled beer that boasts an impressive selection of craft bombers, local craft beers, domestic favorites and unique imports, and a 6-foot Belgium beer “Cellar collection” focusing on Trappist and Abby style beers.
- Floral: Fresh whole trade flowers as well as herbs and veggies sourced from local garden center, Dream of Colors.
- Whole Body section: Dedicated to caring for the body inside and out, the Camelback Whole Body department will be lined with nutritional supplements, herbal remedies and personal care and beauty items including body care items that meet Whole Foods Market’s Premium Body Care standards and Organic Labeling guidelines. Also featured will be a selection of locally made items, such as an exclusive bulk soap scent.
For additional information on Whole Foods Market’s Camelback store, please visit www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/camelback or to stay updated on grand opening events and activities, follow Whole Foods Market Camelback on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/WholeFoodsMarketCamelbacktwitter.com/WFMcamelback and Instagram @WholeFoodsMarketAZ #WFMCamelback