ROCKVILLE, Md. (June 20, 2016) – Whole Foods Market, America’s Healthiest Grocery Store®, opens the doors of its new Pentagon City store at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, June 29.
The public is invited to join team members and community leaders in a bread-breaking ceremony that begins at 8:45 a.m. and will include the presentation of a $2,000 check to the Arlington Food Assistance Center. Opening day shoppers will experience first-to-market exclusive products and special door buster savings. The first 500 shoppers who spend $50 will receive a limited edition Whole Foods Market Pentagon City canvas tote bag.
The 36,800-square-foot store is located at the corner of 12th Street South and South Eads, just two blocks from the Pentagon City Metro stop adjacent to the I-395 commuter corridor. The new facility is Green Globes Certified for energy and sustainability.
“We can’t wait to serve this community,” said Mike Ameg, the store’s team leader. “We’ll be bringing customers the highest quality food and freshest produce, meat and seafood and creating an important new gathering space in this dynamic community.” Referencing the store’s dining venues and dog-friendly patio, he continued, “Whole Foods Market Pentagon City will be a place where families and busy working professionals can relax, recharge and refuel.”
Those who can’t make the bread-breaking ceremony will want to stop by for the store’s inaugural happy hour from 4-6 p.m. on Wednesday, June 29, when chef, restaurateur, reality TV star and winemaker Fabio Viviani will meet customers and sign bottles of his wine collection – Fabio Viviani Wines.
On Thursday, June 30, the store will hold its first 5 percent day, splitting a donation of 5 percent of the day’s sales between two local organizations – Blue Star Families, based in Falls Church, Va. (supporting military families in the D.C. metro) and the Animal Welfare League of Arlington.
In keeping with Whole Foods Market’s quality standards, every product in the store will be free of artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, preservatives and hydrogenated oils. Whole Foods Market Pentagon City will also feature:
- A full service coffee and juice bar with nitro dispensed cold brew coffee, hemp milk lattes, cold brew teas, breakfast and lunch sandwiches, and acai bowls
- The first Whole Foods Market in the Mid-Atlantic Region to offer the Farmstand Freeze. Fruits and veggies are frozen overnight, put in a Pacojet machine and shaved while injecting air to create a light, fluffy, fruity frozen dessert. Low sugar, only sweetened with honey and dates, and also non-dairy.
- The Basin Barroom, offering 15 beers and one flavor of kombucha on tap, as well as wine and cocktails. The “battered versus broiled” seafood-focused menu includes a must-try lobster roll served on local favorite LeoNora Gourmet Bakery’s split top roll.
- Paper Horse, ramen master Erik Brunner-Yang’s latest venue.
- In-house smoked and dry-aged meats.
- Eight varieties of scratch-baked bread daily.
- More than 2,500 organic offerings in the grocery aisles.
Follow news about this store’s opening and all of Northern Virginia Whole Foods Market happenings through social media: Twitter @WholeFoodsNoVa@WholeFoodsNoVa, and on Facebook: Whole Foods Market NoVa.