AUSTIN, Texas (January 16, 2006) With many of us glued to our televisions rooting for our favorite teams on game day or cheering our favorite athletes during the Olympics, February is most appropriately named National Snack Foods Month. Whole Foods Market has a naturally delicious game day party plan to fire up fans with recipe and snacking ideas that are free of artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings, preservatives and hydrogenated fats.
“When people think of snacks, they often think of fat-laden dips and chips with hydrogenated oils or processed cheese foods,” said Jody Villecco, food and nutrition Quality Standards coordinator at Whole Foods Market. “Snacking has been reinvented — you can now find a terrific selection of flavorful, nutritious snack foods without the empty calories and artificial additives.”
Whether you are worn out from holiday parties and plan to spend just a few minutes on game day setting out quick and easy snacks or would like to spend some time putting together something more creative, these all natural, great-tasting game day snacks and one-pot meals are sure to wow your guests.
Snacking smart should not only be reserved for game day. Enjoying healthy snacks on a daily basis is a good strategy to use throughout the year. “Snacking on balanced natural foods can keep energy levels high by maintaining a steady level of blood sugar in the body,” said Villecco. “You'll be amazed at how your body stays fueled when eating snacks consisting of whole-grain carbohydrates, heart-healthy fats, and high quality proteins.”
From mango-cream cheese quesadillas and teriyaki turkey meatballs to Asian lettuce wraps and seafood caldo verde, here are some tasty ideas that will leave friends and family feeling like winners.
Pre-game Warm-up: Savory Snack Down
Baked turkey or Whole Kitchen™ Vegan Meatballs in 365 Organic Everyday Value™ Teriyaki Sauce
- Bake pre-made, frozen meatballs in teriyaki according to package directions and serve
- Steamed edamame with sea salt
- A variety of roasted, flavored nuts (try chili-lime, spicy wasabi, or tamari)
- East Meets West Guacamole Try this updated classic with an Asian twist.
- Roasted Red Peppers with Goat Cheese
- All American Cheese Dip This traditional queso gets a natural makeover.
- Whole Kitchen Chicken and Vegetable Shu Mai or Shiitake Mushroom Potstickers (frozen, steamed in minutes) with bottled Asian sauces such as 365 Organic Soy Ginger or 365 Organic Hoisin Sauces
- Black Bean Hummus
- Whole Catch™ Cooked Shrimp with 365 Organic Cocktail Sauce (Thaw shrimp and serve.)
Whole Kitchen Buffalo Wings with 365 Organic Chipotle Citrus Barbeque Sauce or 365 Organic Fresh Blue Cheese Dressing
- Serve alongside some fresh-cut veggies such as red bell pepper strips, carrot sticks, and cauliflower.
Half-time: Get Your Guests off the Bench with Do-it-yourself Snacks
Deliver yourself a personal pizza
- Use individual pizza crusts, tortillas or even portobello mushroom caps as a base. Set out toppings such as pre-made pesto, pepperoni, Whole Creamery™ Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, smoked Gouda, roasted garlic, sliced mushrooms, and smoked chicken.
Set up a nacho or quesadilla assembly line after setting out a variety of traditional or not-so-traditional ingredients
- Have the oven or skillets ready to warm guests' South of the Border creations. Set out jalape?os, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, sliced mangos and cream cheese, black beans, roasted poblano peppers, avocados, sun-dried tomatoes, and salsa.
Do-it-yourself crostini or bruschetta bar (begin with toasted French bread slices and let your and your guests' imaginations run wild)
- Bruschetta of Blue Cheese, Pecans and Honey
- Kalamata Olive Tapenade Crostini
- Smoked Salmon Crostini
- Winter Squash Crostini
- Try your favorite bottled toppings
- Wrap it up with Asian Lettuce Bundles with bottled dipping sauces such as 365 Organic Peanut Sauce
Final Stretch: Big League Chilis and Soups
- White Turkey Chili
- Big Batch Lentil-Bean Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Seafood Caldo Verde