(ENCINITAS, Calif. – June 20, 2011) – Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM), the world’s leading natural and organic foods supermarket and the nation’s first certified organic grocer, will open its newest Southern California store in Encinitas at Pacific Station, 687 S. Coast Highway 101, on June 29 at 9:00 a.m.
Serving the local Encinitas community, the new 23,000- square foot store will feature more than 30 local producers alongside Whole Foods Market’s wide selection of the highest quality organic and natural produce, meats, seafood, beer, wine, baked goods, specialty items and prepared foods, while not forgetting pantry staples from the grocery aisles – all without artificial colorings, flavorings, preservatives or hydrogenated fats.
For the active and energetic Encinitas community, the Whole Body section boasts a complete selection of natural sports nutrition products including supplements, energy bars, protein bars and other functional products. The store also offers shoppers an array of all-natural and certified organic body care and beauty products. Selections range from value oriented bulk selections of natural soaps, bath salts, shower gels, shampoos, conditioners and lotion to books and makeup.
The store is projected to become a popular dining destination not only for local residents, but also for surrounding communities. In addition to providing easy one-stop grocery shopping, the store will have a relaxing outdoor courtyard eating area where customers can enjoy a variety of freshly made salads, sushi, sandwiches, pizza and prepared foods, and refresh with cold drinks and coffee. Exclusively for the Encinitas store, the Seaside Delight Smoothie, named by a local resident at the Rob Machado Seaside Pro Junior Experience Surf Competition held in April, is anticipated to be a local favorite. Other tasty varieties of smoothies, fresh juices and gelato will also be available daily.
“With a courtyard eating area and a wide variety of cooking, eating and educational events created to serve the healthy and active Encinitas neighborhood, we see Whole Foods Market Encinitas as a gathering hub for the local community,” said Patrick Bradley, president of the Whole Foods Market Southern Pacific Region. “Whether it's ingredients for cooking delicious meals at home or convenient snacks to take to the beach or work, we have everything our customers need, and we are excited to showcase all the best of natural and organic foods.”
Dedicated to sourcing products from the best local businesses, Whole Foods Market has San Diego-focused foragers who search for local products at farmers markets, artisan shops and community nonprofit organizations to bring products from the community into our stores. Whole Foods Market foragers Don Nishiguchi and Dwight Detter have discovered numerous San Diego growers and producers to sell their wares at the Encinitas store, including local favorites such as:
- Stehly Farms Organics, owned and operated by brothers Jerome and Noel Stehly in Northern San Diego County, grows organic avocados, citrus and berries.
- Archi’s Acres, a small-scale organic farm that offers combat veterans meaningful employment through its Veterans Sustainable Agriculture Training (VSAT), provides organic living basil.
- Chua Chocolatier, local Venezuelan Chocolatiers who use a secret blend of premium chocolate and fresh natural ingredients to create unusual, unexpected and delicious flavors.
- Avaria Parkway Farms, located in Carlsbad, grows strawberries, and has been for more than half a century.
- Go Green Agriculture, also located in Encinitas, grows hydroponic lettuce in mini-farms near large cities, harvesting in the morning and delivering to the store within hours.
- Backyard Bees Honeybee Rescue keeps more than 60 rescued hives from San Clemente to Fullerton, providing pure, unfiltered, treatment-free local honey.
- Sage Mountain Farm, growing from a hobby into a local business, organically grows heirloom tomatoes, sage candy onions, and crimson red watermelons.
To celebrate Whole Foods Market joining the Encinitas community and the grand opening of Pacific Station, a variety of events will allow the community to experience Whole Foods Market before it is open to the public: Free: “We’re happy to be in the neighborhood” Party
- Whole Foods Market Encinitas Block Party on June 26: The whole community is invited to a Sunday of fun with local live music from Euphoria Brass Band, kids’ events and free sampling by some of the area’s favorite vendors. Start with a sneak preview and guided tour of the store that will not only show you where all your favorite products are located, but also introduce you to the local vendors and store team members who are just as passionate about food as you are. Pick up a Passport to Pacific Station and get it stamped when you take a tour of Whole Foods Market, then visit each of their retail neighbors to win gift cards, gift baskets and more. The free store tours will take place between noon and 4:30 p.m. with the block party taking place from 1:30 to 5:00 p.m. To RSVP, please visit the Whole Foods Market Encinitas Facebook page at facebook.com/WholeFoodsMarketEncinitas and click on “Tickets.” Walk-ins are welcome.
Grand Opening Celebrations
- Grand Opening Bread Breaking Ceremony on June 29: Join Whole Foods Market for the bread breaking ceremony at 9:00 am. The first 300 customers in line will receive a complimentary demi-baguette. Throughout the day, the store will be holding a BBQ and local vendors will be providing free samples.
- Community Support Day on July 20: Demonstrating Whole Foods Market’s commitment to the community, through a Facebook poll, Encinitas residents voted the Community Resource Center as the first recipient of a 5% Community Support Day. On July 20, five percent of net sales will be donated to the Community Resource Center: communityresourcecenter.org.
Easy and ample parking is available below the store at the Pacific Coast Highway entrance or around the corner at Vulcan and E Streets. The store is also seconds away from the Encinitas Coaster Station. For additional information about the new Whole Foods Market Encinitas store, as well as grand opening festivities beyond opening week, please visit wholefoodsmarket.com/encinitas.