Emeryville, Calif. (July 24, 2009) – Whole Foods Market is thrilled to announce that it will open its new store in Capitola on Wednesday, July 29, with a bread breaking ceremony at 9:45 am.
Capitola residents are invited to a sneak peek of the store during the “Taste of Whole Foods Market” — an outdoor festival for community members to sample delicious organic and natural food from more than 70 vendors, tour the store before it opens to the public and enjoy live music with friends and family. The free event will be held in the store parking lot this Sunday, July 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The new store, located at 1710 41st Avenue, will feature a wide range of products from more than 100 Santa Cruz County farmers and producers including Gayle's Bakery of Capitola, Dave's Gourmet Albacore Tuna of Santa Cruz, Rita's Milks Alive of Santa Cruz, natural hair care from Isvara Organics of Pleasure Point and wines from numerous local wineries.
“Santa Cruz County has always been at the forefront of the organic food movement, so Whole Foods Market is psyched that our buyers were able to bring in so many local vendors that reflect our community's support for sustainable agriculture and passion for amazing tasting natural food,” said Mike McCallum, store team leader for Whole Foods Market Capitola. “I hope that Capitola residents come to think of this store as a convenient place to find the highest quality natural and organic foods in town and know that we're serious about offering everyday low prices and helping shoppers discover real deals throughout the store.”
The 23,000-square-foot Capitola store combines the convenience and expertise of a farmers' market, a wine and cheese shop, a grocer, an artisan bakery, a café, a full-service butcher and fishmonger, and a team of chefs making restaurant-quality meals-all under one roof.
Some of the highlights that Capitola Whole Foods Market shoppers can look forward to enjoying:
- Coffee Bar – fresh-brewed coffee daily from Allegro as well as sell a variety of beans from different coffee roasters including Capitola's Verve Coffee. Also available will be fresh-pressed, bottled almond nut milks from Rita's Milks Alive and Kombucha Botanica's Healthy Living TonicTM on tap.
- Meat – full-service meat department featuring the best-tasting, freshest and highest quality meat available that is carefully raised without antibiotics or added growth hormones, as well as hand-made sausage and a professional butcher who can prepare any cut to order.
- Seafood – vast array of fresh and frozen selections, as well as all the marinades, sauces, seasonings and herbs to complete a meal with seafood as the centerpiece. In August, the seafood department will feature swordfish, sustainably caught off the Central Coast and delivered directly from the pier to the Capitola and Santa Cruz stores.
- Prepared Foods – mealtimes are a snap with an extensive selection of healthful, ethnic and comfort foods made by our team of talented in-house chefs. Specialties include a daily selection of eight house-made soups, extensive organic salad bar, Italian-style brick oven pizzas, and a full-serve burrito bar with chicken chile verde, carne asada, carnitas, tofu, beans and veggies.
- Artisan Bakery – European-style hearth breads made from scratch daily in tempting varieties like sourdough, seeded sourdough, Kalamata olive, four cheese, jalapeño Cheddar, cranberry pecan and raisin pecan. Plain, seeded and cinnamon challah breads will be available on the weekends.
- Nut Butters – grind-your-own nut butter stations tempt shoppers to customize their favorite spread with almond, peanut, honey peanut, and chocolate peanut varieties.
- Exotic Eggs – In addition to farm fresh chicken eggs from TLC Ranch in Aromas, the store will offer duck eggs from Metzer Farm in Gonzales/Salinas and quail eggs from Olivera Egg Ranch in San Jose.
- Bulk Section – large variety of bulk bins brimming with legumes, grains, flours, and nuts as well as body care (shampoo, lotions, conditioner, bar soap and liquid soap), olive oil, honey, maple syrup and tamari.
- Health, Wellness & Food – Whole Foods Market works hard to stay on top of food and health issues and to educate its customers on the benefits of a healthy eating. To bring this concept to life, Whole Foods Market Capitola will offer regular store tours, talks and demos with trained Team Members, local health practitioners, cookbook authors, and chefs.
- “Eat Well for Less Store Tours” will be regularly scheduled to show customers how to shop smart on a budget and enjoy the best savings on organic and natural foods. The store also will offer shopping tours tailored to special diets including veganism, food allergies and healthy eating for back-to-school. Private tours can be arranged by request for organizations like schools and senior centers.
- Whole Foods Market 5% Days — Four times a year, Whole Foods Market sets aside a day on which 5% of the day's net sales is contributed to a local 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Store Information Hours: Open daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Location: 1710 41st Avenue, Capitola, CA Telephone: 831-464-2900 Web site: wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/capitola