AUSTIN, Texas (Jan. 2, 2013) — To meet growing consumer demand for healthier choices, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM) is introducing Engine 2 Plant-Strong products, a new line of plant-based, minimally processed snacks, breakfast items and pantry staples. Developed in collaboration with Rip Esselstyn, author and founder of “The Engine 2 Diet™,” the products will be available exclusively at Whole Foods Market stores nationwide beginning January 2013.
“Rip has inspired thousands of Whole Foods Market shoppers and Team Members to make smarter food choices as a partner in our healthy eating program,” said Errol Schweizer, global grocery coordinator at Whole Foods Market. “Engine 2 products taste great and are a healthy option for popular snacks and pantry staples.”
The products also adhere to “The Engine 2 Diet” guidelines, which means they are lower in fat, contain minimal to no added sugar, never contain animal products or added oils and aim for a one-to-one sodium-to-calories ratio per serving. Deliciously healthful products under the Engine 2 Plant-Strong brand include:
- Rip’s Big Bowl— a whole grain and omega-3-packed cereal available in three flavors including Original, Banana Walnut and Triple Berry.
- Hummus— available in Roasted Garlic, Roasted Red Pepper and Jalapeño Cilantro flavors, these Plant-Strong™ spreads don’t contain added oil and are lower in calories, total fat and sodium.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk—Vanilla or Original, these non-dairy milks are fortified with vitamin B12 and boast rich, toasted almond flavor.
- Organic Crispbreads – available in Plain and Seeded varieties, these crunchy snacks contain no added sugar, oil or whey and have been Non-GMO Project™ verified.
- Cantina-Style Salsa – roma tomatoes and fire-roasted peppers combine for fresh, flavorful salsa without the high sodium content.
- Organic Whole Grain Tortillas –Sprouted Ancient Grains or Gluten-Free Brown Rice, both with no added oil.
The products offer consumers a simple way to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diets with primary ingredients like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds.
Rip Esselstyn, a former firefighter and son of renowned general surgeon, Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., the doctor who inspired former “fast food” president Bill Clinton to adopt a plant-strong diet, created “The Engine 2 Diet” after discovering one of his fellow firefighters at the Austin, Texas, Engine 2 Station had dangerously high cholesterol levels. He has since been an ambassador of healthy living, with his second book on the topic to be released in May 2013.
“It is a dream come true to see the Engine 2 Plant-Strong food line come to fruition,” said Esselstyn. “I know these products will make it easier for people to eat healthy and live plant-strong!”
Engine 2 Plant-Strong products are aligned with Whole Foods Market’s healthy eating program, Health Starts Here™, which emphasizes whole, unprocessed foods that are rich in nutrients and contain healthy fats. In addition to culinary support and in-store guidance and education, the program offers hundreds of healthy recipes online including a series of new Engine 2 Plant-Strong recipes to inspire plant-based cooking at home including Tortilla Hummus Pizza, Baked Penne with Spicy Rosé Sauce and Rip’s Chocolate Treats.
More Engine 2 Plant-Strong products are due in Whole Foods Market stores later in 2013. For more information, please visit engine2foods.com.