CHICAGO (February 19, 2007). Whole Foods Market® (Nasdaq: WFMI), the world's leading natural and organic foods supermarket and the nation's first certified organic grocer, opens its new 40,000-square-foot Sauganash/Edgebrook store on Wednesday, February 21. The much-anticipated store is the first Whole Foods Market to open in the Chicago area in more than four years, and is one of four stores planned for the area in 2007. Other new Chicago stores to open in 2007 include: Halsted and Waveland (Halsted), Roosevelt and Canal (South Loop) and Northbrook. Located at Cicero and Peterson Aves., this store will provide Sauganash and surrounding-area residents with great-tasting, high-quality foods in a convenient and contemporary setting. A grand celebration to ceremoniously open the doors begins with a bread-breaking and ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:45 a.m.
“At Whole Foods Market, it is our goal to share our enthusiasm for the freshest, most flavorful natural and organic foods, and we are thrilled to open a store for the Sauganash and Edgebrook communities. Whether you're seeking a wide variety of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, specialty gourmet items, high-quality meats and poultry, or everyday pantry staples at great prices, you can find what you're looking for here,” comments Dave Baffa, store team leader. “We believe that food in its purest state — free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, colorings and trans fats — is the best tasting and most nutritious food available.”
The store celebrates its grand opening through the weekend with food samplings, giveaways, music, face-painting, balloon artists and much more. The first 500 shoppers Wednesday through Sunday will receive a complimentary commemorative Whole Foods Market tote bag.
On the Shelves and In the Aisles
The new Whole Foods Market store offers a vast array of tempting foods and delights, sure to please even the most discerning palate. Featuring restaurant-quality prepared foods and the convenience of one-stop grocery shopping, the store features a number of unique and enticing elements. A recent referendum enables this location to sell beer and wine, a first in this long-standing dry community. Also featured at this Chicago location:
- More than 200 varieties of seasonal and local produce, at least 100 of which are certified organic
- More than 200 varieties of natural and organic cheeses, ranging from Wisconsin cheddar to French raw milk cheese
- More than 50 varieties of fresh seafood and shellfish, including wild Alaskan salmon and fresh sea bass; all harvested from sustainable practices
- A large variety of choice custom-cut meats, including, in-house smoked meats, dry-aged beef, and 20 varieties of fresh, made in-house sausages
- Freshly baked artisan breads, cookies, pastries, muffins and other flavorful baked goods from the store's in-house bakery
- a robust and exciting selection of olives, handcrafted butters and cheeses
- In-house roasted coffee beans
- An espresso, coffee and tea bar
- A bulk grocery department featuring 173 items, including nuts, dried fruits, cereals, grains, and so much more
- A vast array of vegetarian and vegan choices
- A large selection of luxurious natural body care items and cosmetics
- Advanced nutritional supplements and vitamins
- A beautiful selection of fresh-cut flowers and plants
- Essential grocery staples, including Whole Foods Market's own 365 Everyday Value™ and 365 Organic Everyday Value™ signature lines of products offering the same high standards for taste and quality — at everyday value prices.
Whole Foods Market also features an extensive selection of restaurant-quality prepared food choices, chosen specifically with the Sauganash/Edgebrook community in mind, including:
- A first-of-its-kind in Chicago beer and brat station, called the Sauganash Grill
- Freshly prepared pizza baked in a brick oven
- Made-to-order sushi
- Sixteen unique flavors of gourmet, bistro-style gelato and sorbet
- Hot seafood chowders and soups
- Meat carving sandwich station
- Global cuisine
- Vegetarian and vegan fare
- Freshly prepared fare from Sonoma Chicken Salad and Portobello Spring Rolls to Almond & Dill Crusted Sole and Grilled Marinated Lamb Salad
About our Team Members
Whole Foods Market, which created nearly 150 jobs in the Sauganash/Edgebrook community, has been named by Fortune magazine as one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” in America for ten consecutive years — every year since the list's inception.
“Whole Foods Market is a mission-driven company and our Team Members are truly passionate about sharing the joys of great-tasting food and natural lifestyle choices with others. The goal of every Team Member is to delight each shopper every time they visit Whole Foods Market,” Baffa says.
Commitment to the Community
Whole Foods Market has a history of establishing a deep commitment to each of the communities it serves. “We're looking forward to putting down roots and becoming an integral part of the Sauganash and Edgebrook communities,” Baffa comments.
As part of that commitment, Whole Foods Market holds quarterly Community Support Days, in which five percent of a day's gross sales are donated to a local non-profit organization. The first Community Support Day will be held March 21, to benefit Sauganash Elementary. The school plans to use the money for a much-needed computer room technology update.